Best way for (small) repairs on conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We just moved into a new house and have for the first time ever a conservatory, so I'd be grateful for advise on how to fix a series of smaller problems on it.
It doesn't leak (yet), but there is a draft around some edges and some black mould. I think there is a series of potential problems.
1. From the inside, I've noticed that some of the UPVC boards are bulging (photo 1). Is there a way to remedy or just fill the gap?
2. On the outside, I see that the fascia is coming off from its internal part (photo 2). I also think that the fascia and the glass top aren't sealed. Is that normal?
3. There is a strip of lead on the glass panes that is perished (again photo 2) What is the purpose of that lead strip? If it's important, I think I will run some flashband.
4. On the side, the bottom bit of the bargeboard is falling off (photo 3). Can I just glue this back with some silicone and/or expanding foam?
5. A short section of silicone along the roof profiles is gone. Obviously I want to re-do it, but access is difficult. Would the conservatory be strong enough for me lean on with my upper body?
Any thoughts and recommendations would be very helpful, as I got no experience with conservatories at all.

Attachments

• WP_20161023_13_44_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161023_13_44_02_Pro.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 89
  • WP_20161023_13_40_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161023_13_40_13_Pro.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 104
  • WP_20161023_13_41_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161023_13_41_43_Pro.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 88
  • WP_20161023_13_40_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161023_13_40_47_Pro.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Anyone? Obviously I'd appreciate answers to any of the issues (you don't need to ramble on alll points, though you could if you want to!).
In particular, what do I do about the bulging UPVC boards?

Basically, fix stuff back the way it was. It does not really need writing about, and its nothing to worry about doing

Use suitable silicone or polymer mastic and add some suitable screws to keep things in place if need be.

Replace lead with lead or lead replacement material, not sticky black bitumen staining flashband

Spreader boards and props from below if working on fragile roofs

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back