Lean To/Covered Entry Retaining Wall Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a lean to on the side of my house that was there when I moved in almost 10 years ago. It is 5m long by 1.5m wide. It has a polycarbonate roof and the one side wall is my house and the other side wall is a 5 foot high brick built retaining wall the other side of which is my neighbours side entry/garden. I live on a hill. The two end walls (front/back) are both brick built and at present have standard entry gates on them.

This space has only every been used for general storage. I am now looking to make more use of this space and have the poly carbonate roof replaced with either a felt or fibreglass roof, have solid wooden or UPVC doors put on the front and back entrance and then make it into a laundry room so put some plumbing in and kitchen units. It already has electric and central heating.

My issue is with the retaining wall side on which the previous owner had put up some plastic corrugated sheets which I have just taken down. I have found the bricks to be damp/wet and think this has partly been caused by the guttering along the roof having been blocked but I do suspect being a 5 foot retaining wall it may always be at risk of damp. I am not sure what to do in terms of covering this wall. My initial plan was to put some battens and then fix pvc cladding sheets. Along this wall I then plan to put some base units.

I am anticipating the total project will cost me around 4k but I am now concerned that I am going to have issues with the retaining wall side of the lean to so would appreciate any help/advice.

Mark
lean to.jpg
lean to 2.jpg
lean to 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I doubt anyone will be interested in BR or PP, but you should probably replace that plastic on the top of the wall with something non flammable, eg cement cladding boards. And your gas meter should not be "built over".

Cheers for confirming. Do you think it will be okay to go with my plan of battens and then cladding sheets. I am going to put some base units in along this wall.
put a strip of dpc behind the battens.

clean any loose material off. repoint any loose or missing mortar. dampen the wall and apply tanking with a 3 or 4” brush one way.
Wait for it to stiffen up and repeat brushing the opposite way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back