lean to garage roof questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
building new lean to garage 4.5m wide 6m long im thinking 100 x 50 steel rafters bolted to wall plate and 100 x 100 steel uprights every 1000mm with box profile sheets on sides and roof the high side is the side of the house
is this exceptable or is timber better don't want to use trusses as i can then have between 7 and 11ft of headroom

Sponsored Links
has no one got a clue as I don't really wanna use trusses as this makes the garage unusable if I wanna use an engine crane

Sponsored Links
Can understand some steel rafters if you want to lift an engine, but why not just do the side wall in brick?
You may find that the planning dept would insist on an external finish similar to that of the house, otherwise it's not pemitted development.

has no one got a clue as I don't really wanna use trusses as this makes the garage unusable if I wanna use an engine crane
You could still use timber joists, but use strengthen where you want to install the engine hoist.

Maybe a flitch beam with additional plating at the hoist connection.

Please explain ronnie the garage is 6m long with a solid wall at thw end and door at the other

Please explain ronnie the garage is 6m long with a solid wall at thw end and door at the other
Have I missed something? I take it you are planning to span the 4.5m width and not the 6m length?

With a lightweight roof there is nothing to stop you using timber should you so wish, but you might need to strengthen where you hang the engine hoist (assuming you are planning to hang the engine hoist from the roof?)

Have I missed something? I take it you are planning to span the 4.5m width and not the 6m length? It this is the case it doesn't really matter what is at the ends as the end walls won't be load bearing.

With a lightweight roof there is nothing to stop you using timber should you so wish, but you might need to strengthen where you hang the engine hoist (assuming you are planning to hang the engine hoist from the roof?)

Will not be hanging engine from rafters will use crane just need height what size timbers wud be needed for a box profile roof with insulation they cud be braced at the top if needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back