Timber sizes for a Small Lean To

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at building a small lean to with single sheet corrugated plastic sheet. The depth of the Lean to will be a max 2.4 M, Length would be approximately 4.6M, height approx. 2.6M
One long side is to be fixed to the house. The other log side I am planning on supporting on 4" x 4" timber posts fixed at the base to concrete, with a 4" x 2" timber spanning these notched in place. The Wall plate I was going to be a 4" x 2" timber. The roof rafters I was thinking about 3" x 2" timbers @ 600m centres supported via joist hangers either end.

Being a total novice at this I was hoping someone could help with confirming if the above sounds ok or which if any needs different sizes.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Sponsored Links
The wall plate 4x2

How many 4x4 posts are you doing? 2 or 3

Roof rafters might get away with 4x2 without sagging, but not 3x2

Hi I'm actually thinking of using 3 off 4x4 tanalised rough sawn and yes a 4 x 2 wall plate. I was then going to build a framework with 2 x 2 timbers to infill the ends

Then yes 4x2 should be ok across the posts.

2" timbers fine, also use the 2" for your battens

Sponsored Links
I would put some 4x1" timber across the rafters to strengthen it up and give you a lot more fixing points as those sheets are prone to blowing out, say 5 lengths.

Ok that's great thankyou for all your help, Im sure there will be more questions in the future

Sorry further question, would you use joist hangers for the roof rafters in this situation

No just screw it.

For the wall plate I'd notch it at your required intervals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back