Leaving unused cables in walls - best practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you leave an unused cable buried in a wall, because it is no longer needed and removing it would be more effort than it's worth - is there any best practice for terminating the ends and labelling it?

Or do you just chop it off and forget about it?

Sponsored Links
It's not like gas, you just chop and forget. Or ideally remove from the enclosures containing live cables and leave it labelled for future reuse.
If you can't remove from an enclosure containing live cables you should connect all conductors to the earth terminal

I've also removed the enclosures. It was the load run from a counter level FCU to where the cooker hood used to be, but neither the FCU or the cooker hood will be there any more, so the all the accessories and back-boxes have been removed, I tried to pull the cable through but it seems it's got encapsulated in some of the spot-and-dab plaster and wouldn't budge. So I just chopped it off and poked it back up behind the plaster.

Just thought that if anyone is doing future work, they might get a shock (emotional not electrical) when they find they've chopped/drilled through a cable which is not in a safe zone... but what can you do.

Sponsored Links
Just thought that if anyone is doing future work, they might get a shock (emotional not electrical) when they find they've chopped/drilled through a cable which is not in a safe zone... but what can you do.
Sounds fine! What's the difference between a redundant cable and one for future expansion?:LOL:

Sounds fine! What's the difference between a redundant cable and one for future expansion?:LOL:
In the case of my house (after 30 years, I still occasionally discover them), one difference is that the lead-sheathed and VIR-insulated ones probably aren't intended for 'future expansion' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back