Best way to leave redundant cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've just bought a self-install Hive, so my mains-wired thermostat will shortly be redundant, and for aesthetic reasons will be removed. Also I have a redundant light switch which will be removed. What is the best way to leave the now-unused cabling in each case? I expect that I can find both ends of each cable so clearly it can be disconnected, but it will be impractical to remove the cable itself.

Sponsored Links
What is the best way to leave the now-unused cabling in each case? I expect that I can find both ends of each cable so clearly it can be disconnected, but it will be impractical to remove the cable itself.
If you can, with certainty, find both ends and disconnect them (and be certain that there are no 'branches' to anywhere else!), that's the ideal. In such situations, if the cable is being left in place, I would personally join all conductors/wires ((L/N/E) together in a bit of connector block (at both ends) - so that if anyone ever did come across the end of the cable, they would understand that it was not in use.

Kind Regards, John

But that would mean conductors not identified as earth over their entire length.

Sponsored Links
But that would mean conductors not identified as earth over their entire length.
We aren't dealing with a preferably situation here, as clearly it would be preferable that we didn't have unused cores in the installation.

Alas, we don't. And no T&E or three-core & Earth type cable has the cpc identifiable throughout its length, given that it is an uninsulated conductor in those cables.

Must be dog rough to use that sort of cable then. Wouldn't be permitted in other countries. Why engage in the worst possible practice simply because it is permissible?

Must be dog rough to use that sort of cable then. Wouldn't be permitted in other countries. Why engage in the worst possible practice simply because it is permissible?
I would use singles in containment any day over twin and skin. But it all depends what a client is willing to pay for.

Be careful you don't trip in your clown shoes.

If your going to leave cable then try and write on it, or add a label etc to identify what it is, where it goes and that it's not live.
Do the same the other end.

Because "you" may not be the next person to come across it.

I came across an old cable yesterday, goes to the immersion heater that was removed 20+ years ago, but the cable is still in the wall and is marked up so I could ignore it.

DNO way (as I've been doing clearly so for over 40 years).
ALL LIVE, NEUTRAL & EARTH CLEARLY SHORTED TOGETHER TO EACH OTHER marked with a lable on them as well
Preferably visible as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back