Redundant wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a double socket on a ring main from what will become a bathroom. I can easily access the cables from under the eaves. my question is can I disconnect the wires at both ends so the wires are redundant and just leave the redundant wires in the wall. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you mean to cut the cables in the loft and join them with a JB, leaving the existing cables down to the socket disconnected?

It would be better to remove the redundant cables by pulling them either up from the loft or down at the socket rather than leaving in them there, but if they are not in conduit or capping, that will be impossible without digging the cable out of the wall and making good afterwards...
...But if you're going to redecorate the bathroom anyway, it might be an option.

If this is a ring main (RFC) you still need continuity in the ring.
So you can not just disconnect them without rejoining them back together and you can't not have buried, jointed cables in the wall, unless this has been done in compliance to BS7671:2008.

Yes I will join the wires under the eaves. There is already a jb as someone had previously run a spur off at this point. I have already removed this spur. I will just reroute the ring missing out the wires for this socket. The wires are in metal capping in the wall and I can not get any movement in them to pull them out. Hence question to leave them there. I could dig them and the capping out, it just makes more work and I have loads to do already. Thanks for your help. ;) David

Sponsored Links
As I have mention previously, you can not just join the cables and then have them buried back in to the wall.
The cables must be reconnected correct and comply to the requirements of BS7671:2008 (526.3). Which means if the cable are not jointed correctly they must be easily accessible for inspection and testing.
Joining the cables using a standard junction box will not comply, if the cables are then going to plastered over/buried within the wall.

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

As you can see it is not that straight forward.

Right. As Ecoes suggested I have completly removed the cables from the wall that dropped down to the double socket. I had to remove half the metal capping till they would move enough to pull through using a pair of mole grips. I have then re-connected the ring using the existing jb. I have also screwed the jb to the side of the joist as it was previously loose. There is an access panel into this part of the eaves. So I now have a jb in the run of my ring main just to connect the two sides of the ring together. All done??? :?:

PrenticeBoyofDerry
Thanks for the reply. the cables that I have pulled out have been thrown away as "they are redundant" and no longer needed. Thanks anyway.

That's good to hear, I am pleased that you have taken notice and acted on the advice given. As some don't! beggars belief why they ask in the first place.
Hope the new bathroom works out well.

526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:
(i) .... (ii) .... (iii) .... (iv)
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.
...or.per Amendment 1
  • (i) .... (ii) .... (iii) .... (iv)
    (v) Joints or connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained.
    (vi) Equipment complying with BS 5733 for a maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol (MK)
    Edit: (MF) (that is,"MK" Edit: "MF" within a circle) and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Kind Regards, John
Edit: fairly crucial 'Freudiam' typos corrected !

I'm a bit late, but sounds like a good job! Presumably the old cable was already was already cut when you had your tug-o-war with it. Shame it wouldn't pull out under the capping without removing some first but nothing's ever simple.
Hope your new bathroom goes well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back