Wall removed - Best way to deal with redundant wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I've just knocked my kitchen and dining room together, removed a wall entirely which contained a socket for the dining room which means i'm now left with a bit of wiring to deal with (Currently connected in chocblock and taped up!), I want to install a socket in the dining area in a different location and I know the best way to do this would be to trace the sockets either side of the removed socket and replace the cabling but I've been under the floor and can't easily see where each cable from the redundant soccket goes to.

Can I stick a junction box in and wire the new socket within the ring but this would mean I had 2 junction boxes under the floor to re-join the loopp.

What's the easiest way to trace which sockets the wiring goes out to?

Sponsored Links
JB's under floors are not allowed / should be avoided ( depending on your interpretation of the regs )

if you laminate the floor then you will not be able to access the JB's to check the connections at the next inspection....

easiest way to find where the cables run is to climb under there and have a look... or rip up the floor boards and have a look, whichever is easier..

the next easiest way involves common sense, logical thought processes, and a multimeter..

I've been under the floor for a look and expected to see the cables daisying from one socket to the next but instead they seem to run out from one central point and back again (if that makes sense) so there's a load of cable altogether - I'm keen to sort this out properly so will forget the JB's even if I have to multimeter all the sockets to find where the cables go!

Sponsored Links
What's the correct way to use multimeter to find out which socket is either side of the loop to the socket i'm working on?

is it a case of disconnecting all the sockets and then connecting say red + black together and testing the other end of the cable at next socket for continuity until I find the correct wire? Would I need to disconnect all sockets first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back