What's the best way to deal with redundant cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken up the floor in our back bedroom and found a redundant mains cable in the void.

The previous owners had an electric fire in the room below powered from one of the old storage heater circuits on the other side of the room. I've had people in the remove the low tariff meter but obviously the cabling round the house still remains.

The electrician said the cable in question isn't live, I've tested it since and it isn't live, so I'm wondering if rather than damaging the house further I could cut this cable back to the doorway of the room and terminate it in a way that is safe for a future buyer who may want to restore those old heater circuits.

Can I just end it in a 30A junction box and leave it under the floor or is there another way any of you would recommend terminating the cable? I don't feel easy about leaving a bare cable, admittedly not a live cable, just lying there loose.

If I could take it all out I would but that's not an option. Any suggestions?

Jim

Sponsored Links
Take out all you can. Its highly unlikely that future owners will want to restore electric heaters - its the least efficient type of heating for a start.

And IF they did want to restore them, in EXACTLY the same place, they'll run new cables (only an electrician should re-use older cables, after testing them first, as he has the equipment to do this) ;)

Can I just end it in a 30A junction box and leave it under the floor
Does the other end still terminate by the CU? As the circuit is no longer to be used and is disconnected I can't see a problem with using a JB.

I might chop it out if the cable was in poor condition to stop it being used again but your suggestion is fine.

is the cable causing a problem where it is?
If not, then leave as is and just put the bare ends into a junction box if it gives you piece of mind. (doesn't have to be any particular rating, as there will be no current)

Sponsored Links
Can I just end it in a 30A junction box and leave it under the floor
Does the other end still terminate by the CU? As the circuit is no longer to be used and is disconnected I can't see a problem with using a JB.

I might chop it out if the cable was in poor condition to stop it being used again but your suggestion is fine.

The off-peak consumer unit is still in the cabinet but the mcb's are removed and there are no cables/circuits visible.

Like I said, I just wanted a way of making it look tidy. The three other ends of the storage heater circuits are just bound in tape and marked 'not live' and then stuffed behind blanking plates instead of the outlets.

The one in question was modified by the previous owners so there was a two-pole switch where the original outlet was placed. The cable then went up into the landing void and into the back bedroom, across that and down inside the plaster on the other side of the room to the living room below. When we bought the house, the cable buried in the plaster had been removed back as far as the flooring void in the room above and just cut with nothing on it...straight cut across.

So it's OK to cut it back as far as the entrance to the back bedroom and terminate in the jb. When I get the landing floor up I'll disconnect it back as far as the double-pole switch and then in the future take out the cable as far back as the CU but that will be 'in the future.'

Anyway, thanks.

is the cable causing a problem where it is?
If not, then leave as is and just put the bare ends into a junction box if it gives you piece of mind. (doesn't have to be any particular rating, as there will be no current)

No problem, no. It's just me....I like things to be tidy. If I take the floor up I don't like to see mess underneath or cables that don't go anywhere.

It's only until I can get the rest of the upper floors relaid.

But yes, it gives me peace of mind whereas the wife give me a piece of her mind.

Why not convert the old storage heater connection points to single socket outlets, then connect the old off-peak consumer unit to a spare way on your main CU. You can never have too many sockets, especially at this time of year with all these christmas decorations!

The off-peak consumer unit is still in the cabinet but the mcb's are removed and there are no cables/circuits visible.

Like I said, I just wanted a way of making it look tidy. The three other ends of the storage heater circuits are just bound in tape and marked 'not live' and then stuffed behind blanking plates instead of the outlets.
Sounds fine. As already said, no spark should be reconnecting old cables without testing them first and making sure they are upto spec.

Why not convert the old storage heater connection points to single socket outlets, then connect the old off-peak consumer unit to a spare way on your main CU. You can never have too many sockets, especially at this time of year with all these christmas decorations!

We thought about it but decided to leave them this time. We have ample sockets around the house but I'm sure the electrician we use will convince us we need more at some time in the future.

You say the mcb's have been removed from the CU.
To put your mind at rest even more, if you feel confident enough, remove each mcb cover and disconnect the cable from them then replace the cover, also disconnect any neutrals in the neutral bar.
This way there is no danger if someone inserts an mcb to see what it controls.

The mcb's have been removed already so its immaterial if they are plug-ins or not. So long as the OP feels confident in removing a cable cover and disconnecting a cable there should be no problem. If he doesn't feel confident or is able to admit to himself that it may be beyond his capabilities then he can and should leave well alone.
However, he states in his first post that he has since tested it after the electrician declared it dead, admittedly he doesn't say how, but he then goes on to talk about terminating it in a 30A junction box so it appears he does have some knowledge about electrics.
I'm sure if he is uncertain about some aspect he will have the good sense to either post again requesting help, leave it alone or call in an electrician to do it for him.

Happy New Year BAS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back