LED bulbs lumen and watts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Large room had single lamp in centre which at 12.5 watt LED did not really cut it, so been looking for a light fitting to take multiple bulbs to increase output, found a fitting with 8 E14 bulbs so fitted that, leaving just buying the largest E14 (SES) bulb I could find. Wife picked up 2 at 5.5W 470 lumen at £2.20 plus vat. My existing stock were 2W in the main.

So into HomeBargains and picked up 8 x 6W bulbs around £2.29 each, rated 470 lumen then noticed the 5W bulb at around £1.29 also rated at 470 lumen. So swapped the bulbs in the basket. Both bulbs were same make.

So why three bulbs all 470 lumen with 3 different wattage ratings? And higher the wattage or the less energy efficient the more they cost. With such a low wattage can't really measure with plug in energy meter, and £10.32 for 3760 lumen is good valve.

But why do same make of bulb vary so much in price from same shop.

Sponsored Links
Why "the higher the watage .... the more they cost (when the have same luminance rating".

I always saw this because many people only look at the wattage and do not understand lm, and so base their purchase decision on higher wattage is more light and should cost more. Seller knows this and so reflects this in price.

Sfk

Sponsored Links
I think you are both correct, the dimmer-able bulb in general uses a simple capacitor as current limiter which is not as efficient as a pulse width modulated current limiter so one would expect the non dimmer-able costing a little more, but this is the reverse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back