LED lights and voltage drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on swapping my halogen bulbs for LED equivalents. I will be using the existing electronic transformer (min 20W, max 105W) to power them. There are only three outputs on the transformer, so I plan to use junction boxes in order to split the outputs in order to power the 6 light fittings.

My question is... how worried do I need to be about voltage drop given that the cable run from the transformer (through the junction box(es)) to each light fitting is only around 1 metre? What size cable should I use, given a max load would be 20W on the 12v DC side?

Sponsored Links
How long is the cable run?

The current is less than 2 amps - I don't think there will be a problem!

The transformer is right next to the light switches, so only about a metre or so. My concern was that I know LED lights are very sensitive to voltage drop and that it can reduce their lifespan.

1mm twin cable will be ok?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I'm planning on swapping my halogen bulbs for LED equivalents. I will be using the existing electronic transformer (min 20W, max 105W) to power them. There are only three outputs on the transformer, so I plan to use junction boxes in order to split the outputs in order to power the 6 light fittings.
Most transformer manufacturers give a limit to the distance from the transformer to the light and it is normally around 500mm max for one light.

My question is... how worried do I need to be about voltage drop given that the cable run from the transformer (through the junction box(es)) to each light fitting is only around 1 metre? What size cable should I use, given a max load would be 20W on the 12v DC side?
The other thing is that most leds that don't have the driver built in require either a constant current or constant voltage driver. I would suspect that your transformer is not suited to LED lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back