low voltage lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I've got a low voltage light fitting with inbuilt transformer. It has 4 bulbs (max 20w). I keep reading about these new led bulbs which fit mr11/mr16 but no one seems to know if they are completely interchangeable.

So, do you know if you can replace all 4 with led's?
Or can you just replace 2 with led's and fit 2 with 20w?
Wouldnt the transformer be damaged if insufficient wattage was drawn from the supply? Hm.

Sponsored Links
If the LEDs are sold as a direct replacement for the MR11 & MR16 lamps and the fitting has an electronic transformer I can't see a problem with changing them individually.

If it's a cheap wound transformer and you only replace 2 lamps you may over volt the other 2 which will shorten their life.

You may also run into problems if the existing light is connected to a dimmer.

Thanks for your reply.
No, I havent fitted a dimmer,what with it being low voltage.

You mentioned cheap transformers. Is price a good guide? Or are there any special words I should look out for when buying one in the future?

Sponsored Links
In case you should care, installation of an ELV lighting system anywhere, if it's not a pre-assembled CE-marked kit, is notifiable...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back