Lights power consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the festive period i have fitted a set of Ikea 'string' lights as effect lighting at home. They are powered by a transformer to reduce the voltage to the light fittings to 12v and came with 5no. 20W MR16 lamps. I'm thinking of replacing the bulbs with low energy bulbs or even LED lamps as they are currently a bit too bright and i figure i may as well reduce the energy they use. However, my question is, if they are powered by a transformer, is it the transformer that consumes the power and therefore it wont make any difference what wattage or type the bulbs are, it will still consume the same amount or power?

Sponsored Links
The transformer only takes a tiny amount of power - insignificant. So if you use lower power lamps you will save electricity.

Be aware that some (many) transformers have a minumum load requirement, and if you go below that, depending on the type of transformer, it may not work at all, or it may put out too much voltage resulting in shortened lamp life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back