Replacing Halogen Bathroom Lights with LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some low voltage halogen downlights in my bathroom, a couple of the bulbs have gone and at least one of the IP65 downlight cases seems to have failed as well (outside of the case has some 'bubbling' / 'blistering' so looks like water vapour is getting in somehow).

I could just replace the bulbs (and the one damaged downlight case), but I'm keen to move to LED lights to reduce energy consumption.

Current setup (installed by previous occupier):
A Micromark MM31398 transformer is used for each individual downlight. The transformer has the following stuff written on it, some of which I understand, other bits I don't!
"Electronic Transformer for LV-Halogen Lamps
PRIM: 230V~50Hz 60VA COSØ=0.99
SEC: 11.6V~rms MAX. 4.9A
Ta=50°C Tc=85°C"

The downlight casings are all IP65 rated, but as mentioned above, looks like I'll need to replace at least one of them.

The bulbs are MR16 GU5.3 halogens, 12V, 20W.

So, questions:
1 - Would the existing transformers above support LED lights, or do I have to change all the transformers? The transformers I've got sound reasonably similar to these (from simplyLED) which support Halogen and LEDs...
Note that I've done a quick test replacing one of the busted halogens with a spare MR16 LED light I have, and it seemed to work fine, but not sure if I should be using it (if the transformer is incorrect I assume there could be safety issues, bulb life may shorten, etc etc)

2 - Is there anything Halogen or LED specific about the IP65 rated downlight casings themselves? I'm assuming whether I need to change the transformer or not I can use the same IP65 cases and just change the bulbs (assuming I use LED bulbs with a GU5.3 fitting)...?

3 - If I can't use the same transformers, I think I have two options...
-- EITHER just replace the transformers and use low voltage MR16 LEDs with the existing IP65 cases (or if the cases are halogen / LED specific, replace them with appropriate LED specific cases for Low Voltage LEDs)
-- OR get rid of the transformers completely and buy some new IP65 cases that use GU10 240V LEDs powered direct by the mains

I've tried googling for Mains vs Low Voltage LEDs, but most stuff on this topic seems to be pretty outdated (circa 2011) and there seems to be much conflicting advice on which is better (some saying using transformers results in better bulb life, others saying transformers generate a lot of heat and waste electricity, yet more talking about differences in light quality...)
Don't know if the answers here will be any less conflicting, but thought I'd try my luck!

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yep ditch the transformers and use direct to mains GU10 lamps. I use 6W warm white megaman lamps and it's hard to tell the difference from a 50W 12V halogen lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back