Let you imagination go wild - give me your ideas!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Hi
We have just bought an old farmhouse and are currently ripping down all lath and plaster walls to insulate - see our blog if you'd like (address below).

We have to re-wire too so now is the time to get creative with regards to electrics. I am planning to have some kind of circuit so that I can switch on all lamps from one switch at the door. We also plan to wire for speakers in some rooms.

What would you do if you were me? What do you wish you had done before you had reinstated your walls?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks for now,
BB

Sponsored Links
This subject has come up before...run your electrics, coax,sky,data,speaker cables and any other type of cables you may req or may need in the future...believe me the cost of the cable now will far outweigh the cost/mess at a later stage. I done this about 4 years ago when I had to renovate the property I was moving into and run all cables back to a central point in the loft..it is futureproof ...there is nothing worse than going into a property where there is cables running around the house,skirting board ect ect..ESPECIALLY when you have a chance like you have to hide them

Sponsored Links
Hi All.

I'm in exactly the same position. Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks,
Chris

Create a "secret room" that your children ( or grand children ) can discover by accident. A friend did this many years ago and the grand children re-discovered it in 2008. It was a year before they told him about it. To which he responded with great surprise.

It was a small room accessable only by lifting a hatch under the rug in the room above.

Building regulations would ban it today.

Thats called imprisonment and has a mandatory life sentance :D

As above drop all the cables you think you will need and then add more.
Just assisted a m8 doing this.
30 mtr HDMI leads plus loads of FP and alarm cable were dropped in too.
Cable came to a couple of grand in totai. But they are never going to need to run anything else for years.
Even dropped in some fibre optic just in case!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back