levelling a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to level a floor that has vinal floor tiles containing asbestos.
Can anyone tell me if I can use a levelling compound over existing tiles, so that I don't disturb them or must they come up.

Sponsored Links
You can spread a cement based floor leveler over them. However, since vinyl is more difficult for the floor leveler to stick to than wood or concrete, you'll need to use the recommended "additive" (pronounced "adhesive") with the floor leveler (if it's not already mixed into it in powder form).

However, if you want to take the tiles off, that's no big deal either. It's the DUST from asbestos tiles that poses a health danger, and asbestos is so common in the earth's crust that people are exposed to it naturally. I think the current thinking is that many diseases (like lung cancer from smoking) come about due to the total accumulated exposure to an irritant over a lifetime, and not from a single or even multiple exposures to it. Otherwise anyone who ever changed the brake shoes on a car before asbestos was banned (in 1986, I think) would be at risk of developing a lung disease from the asbestos fibers from those shoes.

I have replaced old vinyl floor tiles with new vinyl composition floor tiles in every suite of a 21 unit apartment block, so if you decide to remove the old tiles and encounter difficulties, I can probably help you overcome those. I've also spread cement based floor leveler prior to installing the new tiles, so if you encounter any problems doing that, then I can probably help you overcome those problems, too.

Many thanks for the advice, information and assurance, I understand your reasoning. If I do decide to take up the tiles what precautions should I take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back