Levelling a hearth to lay plywood for vinyl tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, hope you all had a lovely Christmas

I've been lurking around for some time, reading several posts on laying plywood down for vinyl/laminate etc. Some backstory; a couple of years ago we had our (galley) kitchen overhauled, with Lifestyle Designer LVT placed down throughout the kitchen and the hallway.
The hallway has a door in to the lounge diner, which is being redecorated right now.

The new LVT is waiting in the hallway, alongside the F-Ball Styccobond F46. I've cut and placed 9mm plywood (it was 9mm in the hallway, and I want to match the level) on top of the floorboards, but now I've come to the old hearths...
These old hearths for the fireplace consists of 50mm by 50mm tiles on a concrete base. This concrete base isn't level with the rest of the floor, and I'm not sure how I should fix it to then fix the plywood down.
The concrete base is on a slope, from 5mm below the floorboards to 10mm. The hearths are barely a metre wide and only 30cm across

Should I:

* use a self levelling compound, and then use masonry screws to fix the plywood down,
* use a self levelling compound, and then use the F46 adhesive straight on top of the set compound,
* take advantage of the nice metric depth measurements and use a small piece of 5mm plywood and 10mm plywood (or two 5mm) with masonry screws? If this option, should I use masonry screws to fix the interim sheets down and small woodscrews to fix the top plywood sheet to the bottom plywood sheet, or masonry all the way through the plywood?

The plywood sheets that will be on top of the hearth are full 122cm by 244cm, uncut.
They'll be screwed in every 20cm to the floorboards with Turbogold 25mm screws which will hopefully help the sheets from bending too much around the hearth. The floorboards are otherwise in great condition, 22mm deep and nice and long.

Have I made a mistake not sorting out the hearth before getting the plywood, or can I get away with one of the above options?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I did read this... How to level a very uneven wooden subfloor! Or concrete/wood | DIYnot Forums and I don't think I need to level out the whole floorboard system to sort out the hearths, right? I could use some acrylic sealant around the hearth/floorboards to help the self levelling compound too?

EDIT 2: I'm also going to go over the seams of the plywood with Ardex Feather Finish, could I use that as well as I'm sure I won't need the whole 5kg bag for the seams of the plywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back