Levelling soil for sub-base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question. I'm building a gravel drive out front. I'm in the process of skimming the topsoil away until I reach a decent firm base.

I'll be honest, it's hard work... I've got enough material away for 150-200mm sub base with 50mm depth gravel on top...

The "levelled" layer has some mild undulations that I just can't be bothered to dig out. At the peak they're low enough to take the full depth of sub base. Cost aside, can I just lay the membrane on this slightly wobbly surface, then rely on a good few layers of wackered mot1 to even it out fully?

So long as the sub base is level I can't see it being an issue, as long as it is deep enough itself?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be perfectly flat, but if excessive there is a risk of variations in the settlement.

Blup

Perfect, thanks for the reply.

Looks like rain has put a halt to anything for a while now though... missus is gonna kill me with the mud getting tracked around... :sneaky:

Do you need the membrane? Wouldn’t it get ruined when you whacker the hardcore? Or is it one of those geotextile things?

Sponsored Links
Would be geotextile yeah. Need to redo the haunching around the block paving so hoping to get it right up to the edges, never going to 100% dodge the weeds but I'll give it a good go haha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back