Leyland Contract Matt Emulsion - very dusty walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My walls and ceilings where painted 6 months ago with Leyland Contract Matt Emulsion. I've noticed a very fine white dust in the rooms that I've never had in other houses. If you lean on the walls you get white marks on your clothes and if you rub your hand over the wall it is white. It was painted by a reputable painter, and onto both new plaster and painted walls.

Is this to be expected from Contract Matt Emulsion paint?

I can't live with the dust produced, so will need to fix it, but what's the best option? I've tried painting a test section of a wall with Leyland Vinyl Matt Emulsion Brilliant White, which is stated to be "wipeable". After two days I tried rubbing a black cloth over the test area, it is much less dusty than the contract Emulsion, but there is still a noticeable white residue.

Is this to be expected for Vinyl Matt Emulsion? Will it improve if it is left to cure? Is it the Contract Emulsion comping through the vinyl?

What can I do to fix these dusty walls?

Sponsored Links
Try a second coat over your test section, if it works then go ahead and re-paint your walls with a vinyl matt. The other thing you could do is apply a coat of zinnser gardz prior to re-painting with a vinyl, this will bind down the contract matt, this might be the best option as although contract paints are very powdery when rubbed down i've not seen them produce dust as you describe. Could be an underlying problem like the binder breaking down for some reason, not too sure really but try the second coat and/or gardz and i think you'll be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back