Mist coating mostly OLD bare plaster before a final coat of Leyland brilliant white vinyl matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of redecorating our bedroom.

I want to paint the walls and ceiling with a wipeable (does not need to scrubbable) brilliant white vinyl matt.

Do I just mist coat with the actual vinyl matt or should I use a contract matt for the mist coat?

The plaster is mostly OLD and bone dry (I've repaired it in a few places with multifinish and easifill). The original emulsion paint that was on the walls and ceilings was hidden behind wallpaper, half of it came off with the wall paper the other half scraped off quite easily in quite large pieces, so had not bonded correctly with the walls and ceilings. I'm keen to avoid this scenario this time. (The original emulsioning and wallpapering was done by a previous owners, so I've got no idea what type of emulsion it was).

Also, I haven’t actually bought the Leyland brilliant white vinyl matt yet, so if there’s a better vinyl matt or paint type to use in this scenario then please let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can use anything. The first mist coats on new plaster should be thinned with water and will sink in.

White gives a good base and will highlight to the eye any remaining defects that need filling or smoothing before your finish coats. It will not show through as an unwanted colour. It is also cheaper than colours. It is easy to match if you run out. It will not show through wallpaper. When you get fed up with it it is easy to patch any repairs and repaint.

Matt is preferable to silk as the slightly rougher surface gives better adhesion for later coats.

You can use vinyl paint as long as the wall is perfectly dry, and it is more durable than non-vinyl

If you are painting the ceiling white, Matt will hide slight unevenness. Buy large tubs as you will use plenty.

Avoid "value" or "essentials" cheap paints as they are watery and you will need extra coats. Standard grade own-brands are generally fine.

Leyland is a major reputable brand.

I get so annoyed when I see people recommending using contract paints as a mist coat for regular emulsion. Contract paints are designed for plaster that may still be moist. Plaster needs a dilute coat to reduce the level of suction- basically it helps the subsequent coats to dry without sucking the water from the paint into the plaster. Contract paints are designed to allow moisture to evaporate out of wall, they do not sufficiently deal with the suction.

As above Leyland Trade is ok, but I would avoid Leyland (retail). And follow the dilution advice on the tin (and not someone on Youtube/etc)

Thanks for the replies.

The old emulsion in our house (that was underneath wallpaper) came off a lot like the emulusion shown in this video.

(just watch for 24 seconds between 3 mins 35 secs and 3 mins 59 secs)

The emulsioning in our house would have been done some time between 1955 and 2000, maybe the chemicals in old fashioned emulsion paints and mist coats didn't soak into the plaster properly, or maybe mist coating wasn't a thing before the internet. I'm just very keen to avoild it happening again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
50s emulsion didn't have the vinyl in and has degraded over time causing binders to fail.
Technical will advise not to go digging until you really want to tackle it.
I dustless sand it off. Apply gardz to seal and paint.

Re plaster.
Read data sheet for the emulsion you use will tell you how to apply, and leyland have a youtube video you can watch showing contract, vinyl matt and durable paints and discuss how to apply to plaster. On skillbuilder channel.
I never use contract paint. Over used product. Some use as a blinding coat. Mist coat. Base coat but all the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back