Leyland paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, gas man doing the decorating here. trying to emulsion my new extension and having a nightmare. Have used leyland before and am struggling with where I'm going wrong. Did a mist coat with 50/50 and two times coats undiluted. It looked really bad on the pitched roof with lots of streaks. I Have now sanded back by hand with 120's followed by 320's and give it a once over with another 50/50 mix. It appears by the time I roller it on the edges are drying and leaving streaks. Using Harris roller and working fast and I'm still not happy with it. 90% of the time it looks ok but when the light hits it it's bad. Can't really afford decorator near xmas and want it sorted for then. Any tips? Used the stuff everywhere in the house but the ceiling is just terrible.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you have too much paint on the edges of the roller sleive.

The easiest thing to do might be to get a new roller sleeve, something like the Purdy Colossus.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/purdy-pr...oller-sleeve-nap-woven-nylon-pile-9-x-1/43007

It has a slightly longer nap which makes it more forgiving. I assume that you are using a roller tray. If yes, don't dunk the roller in the paint, let it skim the surface of the paint to pick it up without building up excess paint at the edges. If you do find that you start getting edge build up, tilt the roller when painting the ceiling to get rid of the excess and then roll over it as normal.

Oh, and you might be applying too much pressure. A common mistake. If rolling is tiring, you are probably doing it wrong- load the roller frequently and apply less pressure.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back