Life Before Part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Over the last couple of months I've read a lot about what needs to happen post Part P, and while I'm still not 100% clear on a lot of it.

It did raise a question in my mind about life before Part P.

We moved in 2003 and one of the first jobs we had done was a new Conservatory (Reputable company, but not one of the National Big Boys)

The company used an electrician who came out and put in a new ring and lighting in for the conservatory. Complete new circuit taken back to the CU.

Now thinking back I don't recall getting any paperwork specifically regarding the electrics. Should I have received anything, Safety Inspection? Completion Certificate?

I don't beleive Conservatories were subject to Building Regs back then? So am I correct in saying that I didn't need anything at all? And in theory could have even done the work myself?

(I realise that last bit sounds suspicious but it honestly wasn't me that wired it up.)

thanks in advance,

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Now thinking back I don't recall getting any paperwork specifically regarding the electrics. Should I have received anything, Safety Inspection? Completion Certificate?

All electrical work required certification before Part P was introduced. As the company installed a new ring circuit, they should have tested it and recorded the results on an installation test certificate. Without a record of the tests on a certificate, how would you know it's safe to use?

Part P has been introduced to try and control electrical works within the domestic sector so that when people like you pay good money for a proper job, you get what you paid for, a proper job.

So I need to go back and chase them for it then?

this ight explain why he was annoyed at not being able to tap into an existing circuit

Even if he tapped into an existing circuit before or after PP, he should have tested his work and issued you a "minor works certificate".

Taking PP aside, every piece of electrical work done, whether in a house, office, factory, anywhere, needs testing before being brought into service and the test results must be documented on a test certificate of the correct type. Part P is something quite different as it is also covers the interface between the building regs and BS-7671 in domestic properties.

If you pay a contractor for something as simple as changing a socket front, they should issue you with a "minor works Cert" Part P or no Part P. This has always been the case and has never changed.

The reason why registered contractors are normally a tad more expensive than the "pub sparky" often used by window and kitchen fitters is because after we have worked on a circuit, we take responsibility for it's safety and you get the paperwork. If your not happy, you can then refer the matter to one of our many controlling bodies who will act on your behalf and pin our gonads to the wall.

So I need to go back and chase them for it then?

You could try but don't hold your breath :LOL:

Sponsored Links
before part P was introduced there were afaict no specific legal requirements on electrics in homes (though obviously a gross negligence case could probablly have been brought if it was really bad). BS7671 which most sparks seem to worship is nothing more than a guideline from the IEE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back