Life expectancy of a back boiler

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have a Gloworm backboiler which is 13 years old. How long might it sensibly be expected to last?

I would like to restore the fireplace to an open fire and replace the boiler with a new smaller variety.

Who should I get to advise on the state of the flue if/when the backboiler is removed?

Thanks

Min

Sponsored Links
Some rust through at a very few years and some go on for 40.
The flue should (!) have a liner (floppy tube) which will have to come out. Then all I know about is using smoke pellets and looking for leaks. You could ask the Solid Fuel Advisory, er, Council?

Thanks for the advice ChrisR.
Btw - loved your post about the purple loo paper!

Have had a few :oops: .
Big posh house, kids about, cute girlie looking after them makes coffee etc.

I'd met the house owner - balding grey-suited patronising chap with a bit of a sneer, looks like he's lost his monocle. Reeks of Old Money, and breeding.
I get chatty with the girlie, a tad indiscreet - "I suppose the old man will want this within a millimeter, I've been where they walk miles to get water," sort of thing, all day on and off. I'm seeking a bit of cooperation with where I can put my rather battered Transit, currently at the tradesmen's area 100yds away. "On the drive? - oh I'm sure he'd have you shot", she says. I decide to infer that she didn't say I couldn't put it on the drive.

Next day I'm in the back of the van, on the drive, and his nibs comes out to his Merc - I'm in the way. "You have put THAT, THERE?"
"er, I asked the au pair, .."
He struts into the house and returns.
"You were instructed not to put it there"
"you have been talking rather a lot to my wife".

"Ah".

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back