Back Boiler and CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation - We have an oil fired boiler which heats our central heating and hot water. We also have an open fire, with a 16" Dunsley backboiler (no idea how old this system is as have just moved here).

We have a hot water tank (also with immersion switch) in the spare room, and cold water tank in the loft. The backboiler heats the hotwater, but we havent noticed radiators becoming hot. There is a switch for the backboiler pump next to the fire. We have turned this on, on a few occations, but havent noticed the radiators warming, although new to fire building, the fire hasn't always been very hot :D

Problem - As oil is so expensive we wanted to use the backboiler as much as possible to heat our water and also all the radiators (5 in total). We wanted to work the two systems independantly so we can choose to either heat the water and CH using the oil fired boiler, or by using the backboiler.

We would like the backboiler to heat the CH and have had a few plumbers come and have a look but they seem a bit confused about the set up and havent known much about the backboiler. One plumber noticed that there is no thermostat, he told me not to use the backboiler without one as this could be dangerous... is this the case?

Questions
How can I/a plumber link the backboiler with the CH system - is this easy? How much should we expect to pay for something linke this?
How can we ensure it is a safe set up?
Do we need to have the back boiler serviced and if so how can we find someone to do this?
A plumber told us we would need a Honeywell pipe thermostat to solid fuel pipework and quoted £195. What is this, is the price about right? Would this make the system safe to use?

Also our hot water tank has cracked, and needs to be replaced, we wanted to move it to the loft but have been given different advice ranging from - it will solve all our problems to it will cause water pressure to drop Any advice?
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Situation - We have an oil fired boiler which heats our central heating and hot water. We also have an open fire, with a 16" Dunsley backboiler (no idea how old this system is as have just moved here).

We have a hot water tank (also with immersion switch) in the spare room, and cold water tank in the loft. The backboiler heats the hotwater, but we havent noticed radiators becoming hot. There is a switch for the backboiler pump next to the fire. We have turned this on, on a few occations, but havent noticed the radiators warming, although new to fire building, the fire hasn't always been very hot :D

Problem - As oil is so expensive we wanted to use the backboiler as much as possible to heat our water and also all the radiators (5 in total). We wanted to work the two systems independantly so we can choose to either heat the water and CH using the oil fired boiler, or by using the backboiler.

We would like the backboiler to heat the CH and have had a few plumbers come and have a look but they seem a bit confused about the set up and havent known much about the backboiler. One plumber noticed that there is no thermostat, he told me not to use the backboiler without one as this could be dangerous... is this the case?

Questions
How can I/a plumber link the backboiler with the CH system - is this easy? How much should we expect to pay for something linke this?
How can we ensure it is a safe set up?
Do we need to have the back boiler serviced and if so how can we find someone to do this?
A plumber told us we would need a Honeywell pipe thermostat to solid fuel pipework and quoted £195. What is this, is the price about right? Would this make the system safe to use?

Also our hot water tank has cracked, and needs to be replaced, we wanted to move it to the loft but have been given different advice ranging from - it will solve all our problems to it will cause water pressure to drop Any advice?
:LOL:

Have you tried seeing how much a gas connection would be... I assume there is no gas nearby??

Why don't you look at a small wood chip boiler or even wood pellets and go the whole way... they are fully automatic and of course doesnt need oil.

reflect wrote

he told me not to use the backboiler without one as this could be dangerous... is this the case?

No its not dangerous providing the system is properly vented and a heat leak rad fitted which operates by thermosyphoning.
It sounds as though you are describing my ole system though my back boiler is drained. :eek:

When you turn on this "pump" do you really know that its working?

Test for 240 VAC at pump.

See FAQ* for help knowing if its really working!

Tony

* Daddy, whats an FAQ ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for all your advice, no gas in the village so stuck with oil, although you are right there are other alternatives just need to weigh up the options and prices and decide what to do next.

I don't know if the pump works so thanks for the link so I can double check.

:D

How about an LPG boiler? Vaillant do some excellent ones. . . . .

LPG is roughly the same price as oil but much cleaner, lower maintenance, more flexible and more convienient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back