Lifespan of Rubber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car inner tube rubber - will it deteriorate or rot if left within wet/damp earth ?

I'm thinking the only element that affects rubber would be sunlight, so providing it is in the dark it should last a very long time indeed (decades?)

I know some rubbers ( such as Butyl) is used as pond liners - but inner tube might be a different type of rubber ?

Sponsored Links
Not really rubber any more , but does not deteriorate ,I use old inner tube cut in section for everlasting rubber bands.

Not really rubber any more , but does not deteriorate ,I use old inner tube cut in section for everlasting rubber bands.

Wow, that brings back memories. When I was at school (nearly 50 years ago) the woodwork teachers did that very same thing for us to keep our 'bits of work' together.

Sponsored Links
I've used inner tube to hold roses to posts. it does break but usually where the nails have gone through. It seems to be remarkably stable when left out in the sun - it doesn't go crispy like Post Office rubber bands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back