Lifting a universal beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for the best and safest technique, for two chaps to lift a 5.2m universal beam, 152x89x16, 2m up onto a wall at each end? Weight works out at 83.2kg. The beam is 200mm longer than the space between the walls, to allow for a 100mm bearing onto a padstone at each end. The wall at one end currently has nothing above it. We have 4 trestles, 3 scaff boards and a ladder step-up, but no Genie lift. Is the answer simply “one end at a time”?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
The weight isn't bad, I think everything needed to minimise the possible fall severity. When you say one end at a time, I presume each end lifted 6 inches alternately with the other end strapped to something that can't topple

The weight isn't bad, I think everything needed to minimise the possible fall severity. When you say one end at a time, I presume each end lifted 6 inches alternately with the other end strapped to something that can't topple
I was thinking in terms of two lifts each end, once to trestle height and again (while standing on something) into position. I don't know if that's feasible. I don't have anything (such as a big pile of blocks) to enable six inch incremental lifts.

In theory the whole beam between two of us is less than two bags of sand each, in weight; less if one end is supported. So I may be over-thinking this.

Cheers
Richard

Be prepared to rethink a bit once you get the beam and try. My main worry would be the greater the height difference between the ends, the more easily it can slip lengthways off the support and out of your hands

Sponsored Links
That might be safe as long as the blocks were restrained form lateral or forwards movement. A friend did one (on his own!) on blocks laid flat, in his kitchen, but the blocks were stacked in the corners next to nibs at each end, so were stable. We don't have enough leftover blocks anyway. Half of me wants to hire a Genie and the other half thinks we'll be able to lift it straight in.

I lifted one with my son.

We sent one end up a folded step ladder and onto its pad stone, then the other end onto a tressle, then into place.

I did another 2 upstairs with 3 mates, the easiest was with a winch that I usually use to redound pitch fibre pipe, i bolted it to the wall and it make light work of a 6mtr 254mm beam.

We sent one end up a folded step ladder and onto its pad stone, then the other end onto a tressle, then into place.
Did you lift it from the trestle while standing on the ground, or on a platform?

Cheers
Richard

I stood on the tressle, it was a bit wobbly!!!

I had 2 tressles with 4 8x2's across them to make a platform.

I stood on the tressle, it was a bit wobbly!!!

I had 2 tressles with 4 8x2's across them to make a platform.
Makes sense. We have 4 trestles and some semi-retired scaff boards that could be used to similar effect. Come to think of it, my neighbour has some bigger trestles we could also borrow.

Borrow your neighbour at the same time!!

The only problem I had with mine was posting the beam in further on one end. I had to knock out an extra brick above it so it could go further in, then out again to sit on the other side.

The only problem I had with mine was posting the beam in further on one end. I had to knock out an extra brick above it so it could go further in, then out again to sit on the other side.
Another good point. One end will sit on the outer leaf of a wall with a 2" cavity. That gives me 2" to post it back, as I really don't want to make a hole in the inner. The other end will sit on a wall with nothing above it, but I'll need to start off diagonally because of the beam being slightly longer than the span (2" if I can post the first end 2" in, as above).

I had a look at the site last night, over a cup of tea, and took some measurements. I think incremental lifts on blocks is the way forward. I need 48, have 37 left over (due to my inability to calculate), so will buy another 11. We're doing this on Saturday so I'll report back on how we get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back