Lifting ceramic tiles to lay Karndean or similar....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our hall has ceramic tiles layer 20 yrs ago and now err indoors wants karndean or similar. The tiles will come up easily but I used loads of adhesive.....

What's the best way to get rid of tile adhesive to get back to the screed?

Is there something like a Kango hammer I can hire or is it best to house a lump hammer and chisel and spend the weekend at it.....

Would you remove skirting for karndean ?
Del Boy

Sponsored Links
Would depend on the type of adhesive, it maybe possible to soften it with a heat gun to remove it, or it could be a chisel job.
There is no need to remove skirts for karndean, you can normally get good tight cuts with correct measurements. Just leave a gap around central heating pipes, as it can blister the adhesion.

Thanks......it was a cement based adhesive ....you confirmed my fears .... Good old chisel is needed!
Best regards

Sponsored Links
Use a SDS drill come up easy with one.
You can leave skirting on yes.
Cut neat to everything including pipes.
You will need to use a smoothing compound screed to the sub floor before laying any Karndean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back