Lifting cover of public sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question - having problems with blocked sewer, the contractor for the water authority 'partner' came out, looked down the chamber on our property, said "it's private (not section 24), can't touch it", but didn't look down the street manhole.
Had it jetted by private contractor, who cleared it with some difficulty, said it was the public sewer, he lifted the manhole cover and he was correct - 9" pipe half full of poop, very slow flowing, and backing up our outfall . He also told me he wasn't allowed to lift these covers - he could get fined.

I've lifted this cover in the past with my neighbor (shared drain), question is are we allowed to do this?. Been told we're 'not supposed to'.

Been back in touch with water authority, who said if it was their problem they would refund the cost of jetting. Their 'partner' has phoned to say that the public sewer is clear, was checked 3 days ago, told him the operative didn't look (I was there the whole time), so they are coming back, but can't tell me when, so I asked if they could knock on the door, - no - I want to take photo of the blocked public sewer to prove to the water authority it is blocked so they/their partner can't argue about refund.

TIA
alastair

Sponsored Links
Tell the t0ssers you will phone Watchdog and other consumer protection groups ..... Partners my arse :evil:

It's DrainsAid, they call themselves Yorkshire Water's 'contract Partners'.
ie private outsourcing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back