Lifting heavy objects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often have to pick up washing machines single handed to load them into my Ford Courier van. I have looked at one or two wheelchair lifts offered on Ebay but they seem too big to fit in a small van like mine. The Courier is the perfect size van for my work and is obviously cheaper to run than a larger size vehicle, so I am not keen to move up to a Transit or some such. I suppose what I need is some sort of mini fork lift truck that is light enough to be lifted out of the van and won't take up too much space. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Disabled lifts are definately available for your van. I have seen the conversions but can't remember the maker, A Ford dealer will probably know. The lift folds up behind the back doors, you must remember though that they take about a foot off the back of the van and are quite heavy. This is not a problem with people as you would only usually carry one person in the estate version of your van. Would you lose to much space with these? The ramp sounds cheaper and simpler really. Full width alloy ramps are available for wheelchairs, bit pricey though I would think.An alternative would be pressed steel car trailer ramps from Indespension or similar.

A search under disabled access equipment may help.

fido
Easy way. Get an electric winch, the sort small recovery trucks use.
Second hand £50. If you know a garage or Mechanic get him to weld
a couple of hinges across the rear and add a platform with 2 fold up
legs. you can then slide the item into your van. Ive made afew of these
over the years. Hope you get the idea what I mean.
Quick Fit

Sponsored Links
Sorry Quick Fit, I don't quite understand what you have in mind. I use a sack truck to move machines around but it is quite hard work to push up hill. I normally go backwards, pulling the sack truck as when you push it the small wheels tend to get caught in uneven surfaces. The problem with using a ramp is that the van is not tall enough to walk in so I could not go in backwards and if I go forwards I would end up with my chest against the edge of the roof, unable to see what I'm doing. I have loaded in motorbikes using a ramp but they are easier to handle than the sack truck.

Fido
Maybe I’ve misunderstood what you mean. Is the main problem
getting the washing machine into the back of your van?
If so I’ll try to put it another way……..

A small electric winch inside the back of your van as close to the
rear bulkhead as you can go. On the rear of the van when you open
the doors have a couple of hinges welded to the floor pan.
Attach a type of drawbridge to the hinges, and attach a cable from
the winch to the drawbridge. At the foot of the drawbridge have a
support so the machine can sit on it. You can then winch the
washing machine in to the back of you van.
It’s harder to put in words than build it.
Quick Fit

If that sack truck has solid tyres chuck it out and get one with the bigger pump up wheels, there is no comparison. You may then be able to wheel it up ramps without a winch. They are not that expensive to buy.

Thanks for the ramps link. I suppose I would have to have 2 ramps as they are very narrow (the current sack truck is 15" wide) but these might be the answer.

Trouble is if you went wider they would be weaker.heavier and a pain to get in the van. Even with those you may need some thin ply held on with cable ties.

Big pump wheels are the best though, have you ever tried a wheel barrow with a solid wheel compared to a pump up one?

Quick Fit, am I right in thinking that what you have in mind is placing the machine on a ramp at an angle, then wincing up the ramp until it is horizontal? In which case, how do I prevent the machine falling off the back of the angled ramp?

Suppose if monies no object you could look at something like this.

http://www.tipmaster.co.uk/

Go into tailifts and look at the Tommy.

Overkill? I don't know but if you do a lot and your vans newish it may be worth asking them about a version for your van. This is similar to the disabled lift which sits behind the back doors.There are other firms as well.

When my Fridge Freezer was delivered they had a sack truck type thing that had an electric lift built in. The basically wheeled it round to my back door and then used this gizmo to raise it over the door step and then in. Someone out there must know what these things might be called/where to get them?? I guess they could be expensive though. It's weight capacity must be pretty good cos the FF is 6ft x 3.5ft x 3ft and weighs more than I do!!

Sponsored Links
Back