Light Fitting Resonance!

So, had a little play today and found that with one particular fitting (chosen at random), if I removed the lamp then the sound started (in that fitting - buzzing sound). Replace the lamp (I tried two and it made no difference which one I used) and the sound stopped. Not sure if I would have achieved the same if result if I had chosen another fitting. It's not very consistent!
Still very odd! I presume you're not saying that it makes the noise without any lamps in it at all - or are you? :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hello John.
No, must have at least one lamp in to make a noise. It's definitely resonance of some sort I'm sure. What I don't understand is the inconsistency.

Hello John. No, must have at least one lamp in to make a noise. It's definitely resonance of some sort I'm sure. What I don't understand is the inconsistency.
I don't really know what you mean by "resonance" - what do you think might be resonating with what?

Kind Regards, John

I might have used the wrong term with resonance - possibly inductance. It is a large metal light so the metal may be picking up the mains (from memory I think the live is switched within the ceiling rose) and causing the fitting to vibrate/hum.

Sponsored Links
I might have used the wrong term with resonance - possibly inductance. It is a large metal light so the metal may be picking up the mains (from memory I think the live is switched within the ceiling rose) and causing the fitting to vibrate/hum.
That would seem extremely improbable, but the whole thing is so mysterious that I would be hesitant to rule anything out ;)

Kind Regards, John

That which you call a "resonance" others might call a "buzzing sound" (50Hz ?)
Is it a 50Hz "Buzz" or some higher frequency?

From where (exactly) is it emanating?
You may need a stethoscope (or similar device) to determine this.

Apologies for the delay - am abroad at the moment.
Difficult to say exactly but I would say it is probably a 50Hz frequency. The sound appears to be emanating from inside the fitting. It's not really a problem as it is fairly quiet and now I have found a way to silence it by moving the lamps round. I was more curious as to its cause than anything.

A 50 Hz "buzz" is most likely to be a poor/loose connection across which arcing (and heating) is taking place.
You could have a significant problem with contact heating which (eventually) may overheat and produce fire.

I understand what you are saying but the "buzz" moves from lamp holder to lamp holder and disappears if all lamps are removed. It's also much quieter than a "normal" arcing sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back