Light issues

Sponsored Links
Again with out belling the cables out we cannot be sure but i would have presumed its 1 of the red red cables with the red of the 3core and the red of the other twin in a connector block. then both blacks and the blue to neutral. Then Yellow and the other Red from the Red Red twin into live and all earths to earth.

Did you not think to make a note of what cable went where before disconnecting?

You say the fan works of the light, does it over run on a timer? If so my guess would be blue and the blacks to neutral, one of the reds from the twin reds with the yellow to switch live and all the other reds together in a terminal block and all the g/y's to the earth terminal. You would give a better idea if you uploaded pictures of the light switch terminals and the fan terminals.

I would still opt for testing the cores with a multi meter first to establish What is going where before just connecting up. If you are unable to do this then it may be time for you to call a spark!

That works brilliant thank you. And yes I should have written it down it was my stupidity. Luckily I'm not stupid enough to not do it next time. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sorry starspark1 as I misread your post. I thought you said that one of the reds goes in a connector of its own. :oops:
That'll teach me for just glancing over your post! ;)

With a loop-in light fitting with a fan connected to it it could be perfectly normal, reasonable, understandable and to be expected for there to be a total of 13 conductors, including earths, to be connected there.

You really really should know that.

Have a look at the info in the Wiki on how lighting circuits work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back