Light wiring query - remove a light from a circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

I've got 6 halogen lights in my kitchen ceiling on a single switch.
I'm banging in a floor to ceiling cupboard which will half cover one of the lights so obviously I'm taking it out.

How do I safely leave the wiring? I've got a twin (black and red) cable going into a ballast and then on to the light socket. Can I just take out the ballast and close off the cable with insulating tape and leave it above the ceiling plasterboard or do I need to do something more intrusive?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
It is highly likely we are talking about a transformer or driver for the lamp.
If you are removing this and you have two reds at one terminal and two blacks at the second terminal, then they will need to be safely connected and insulated. If this joint is to become inaccessible then a maintenance free method must be used. So the simplest solution would be to connect the cables using a hager/ashley MF box
There should also be two earth conductors present, they will also need connection together in the MF junction.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm wrong about them being halogens? Little flat bulbs recessed into the ceiling.

There are only two wires into the ballast/transformer or whatever it is. One red, one black. I've temporarily disconnected these and wrapped them in insulating tape just for tonight. I'll get a maintenance free box tomorrow AM for the final state - or as there are only two wires is this necessary? Maybe it's the last light in the chain?

All conductors must be terminated safely in insulated connectors and insulated boxes with cable grips, if the terminals are to be made in accessible then MF methods must be used.
It could be that these conductors are the last on a link, if so further investigation may allow you to remove the cable completely, or it could be being distributed from any joint box in the ceiling void, again further investigation may allow you to remove this, if accessible.

PS. Insulation tape, should really be called electricians tape, it has it's purposes but is not a suitable insulator.

PS. Insulation tape, should really be called electricians tape, it has it's purposes but is not a suitable insulator.

And hopeless at ikts job IMO. After a few years, it unwinds which defeats the object. What happenned to that great black fabric insulation tape that we all used "back in the day". That was proper stuff - and you could buy it in "Woolies"

We've now got self amalgamating tape which is wonderful, but sadly no longer have Woolies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back