Lighting ccts and JB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ran all wiring for 10 light fittings in a large room back to a single point (on the ceiling joist above the switch location) as I couldn't decide how to split them and thought it would give more flexibility if something changed.

I have the lighting cct going in and out of a 20A 4W JB and take the switch line away and back to same JB. I then took the switch feed N&E from the 1st JB into a 2nd where the individual feeds to lights are wired. (As too many cables for 1 JB).

Is this ok?

If so when taking the feed from the 1st JB to 2nd I used the brown for live/sw feed and still used brown tape to show it was a switched feed. Is that ok?

The JB's are above the ceiling and will only be able to be accessed by lifting carpet and boards. I now realise that 'accessible' may mean a bit more so than I allowed for.

But, Is this ok?

If not I can pull back to one cct and put a jb's next/close to a fitting, but cannot to the other cct. My only option really would be to pull back and route into a cupboard and go from there. (Or extend cables?)

One last question. Is it ok to take a spur/branch off a radial light cct to a single light fitting?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about marking switched lives. (Unless they're not brown). It's sometimes done whilst an electrician is 2nd fixing, but isn't needed. As long as you mark all line conductors brown. You should sleeve rather than tape, which can deterioate and come off.

It's ok to spur off a lighting radial. As long as cable sizes are maintained and load limits aren't exceeded.

If you have already done your wiring, you can leave a trap in the floor for later access to jbs, if you leave a 'map' at the consumer unit. Although, if you want to do the job properly, junctions should only be made in accessible points such as switch boxes, ceiling roses, lighting outlets and areas in the loft or in cupboards etc.

There is debate at the moment about maintenance-free jbs such as Wago boxes. But these, according to BS 7671, still need to be accessible for inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back