Fit Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the best way to fit a single light switch to have the 1.0mm cable down to the switch with other end connected to the light and then the live feed from the light into the JB? so 2 cables into the light or can you go from switch to JB then back out from JB to the light...
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hope this explains. In the junction should be four terminals.
Join the neutral from the feed and the neutral to the light in one terminal.
Join the earth from the feed to the light and the switch in one terminal.
Join the live from the feed and the live to the switch in one terminal.
The black wire from the switch, which would normally be a neutral, now becomes the live from the switch and joins to the live to the light in the final terminal. use red insulation tape to mark it as live.
You should have two neutral wires in one terminal, three earth wires in one terminal and two terminals each with two lives, one into the switch and one out from the switch to the light. There is no neutral to the switch.
The worst you can do is trip the fuse box. I'm no electrician but I've re-wired my 200 year old house from top to bottom and haven't had to call the fire brigade yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back