Lighting Circuit.

K

kai

Is there any reason why one cannot wire a lighting circuit in a Loop circuit, with both ends of the 1.5.sq.mm. cable being joined to the B6amp lighting MCB? (i.e. in a ring circuit fashion, but with 1.5. sq.mm. cable)?

Surely this method can give better earth loop resistance performance, and possibly better lighting performance, due to less voltage drop.

Sponsored Links
Pretty un-orthodox method, but there isn't anywhere that says it can't be done.

As for Earth loop impediance, I don't think it'll make any significant difference, same goes for voltage drop.

The maximum voltage drop for a radial would be 174mV per meter, dropping to 43.5mV per meter on the ring circuit, I don't think you'll notice any better lighting.

A reason against though, any work done to the installation in the future by a careless electrician, could casue havoc, as he wouldn't expect it to be installed in a ring fashion.

As I understand, the only reason ring circuits were used, were to save on cable during the second World War.

I'd label the B6 MCB as "Downstairs/Upstairs/Wall LIGHTING-RING" though and the two cables entering the B6 MCB ought prompt the electricians in the future.

What are your reasons for wanting it in a ring arrangement?

And why does it cover downstairs and upstairs?

A fault on an upstairs fixture, could leave the whole house in darkness.

Sponsored Links
Calling it a ring probably won't make it any clearer as many non-electricians refer to all circuits as rings anyway. It will just look like two radials with a common origin and, as has been mentioned, might lead to confusion.

Ring circuits are peculiar to UK domestic socket circuits and there is a degree of lobbying to make all circuits radials, as they are in many parts of the world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back