Lighting Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am familliar with the loop-in system of wiring lights, and with the old junction box system. However, I have recently replaced some ceiling rose and pendant light fittings for my dad. With the loop-in system, you get three two-core and earth cables (or two if it is the end light), and if it is a junction box circuit, you have one two-core and earth. However, what I found was two two-core and earth and a single core cable. Also, I isolated the circuit by turning on the light then turned off the MCB which turned off the light, just to be sure that I turned the right one off (it was the landing light, and I didn't know if it was supplied by the upstairs lighting circuit or downstairs.) The downstairs lighting MCB turned off the landing light, so I assumed it was isolated. It was not, as I found out later. So, what type of wiring is this, and why las it still live after it was supposedly isolated?

Sponsored Links
old2way.png

this shouldn't be done if the lights are on different cuircuits but often is

When you say "live", what do you mean?

You said:
Also, I isolated the circuit by turning on the light then turned off the MCB which turned off the light,

so if you turned off the MCB, and the light went out, how could it have been live?

If you mean that at some point you got a jolt, or a pesky neon scredriver lit up, I suspect you have a borrowed neutral...

(See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=123427#123427 for an explanation)

Sponsored Links
what it seems like to me is the following:

i bet he has the cuircuit i posted wired accross the cuircuits

i think he turned off the downstairs breaker and the light went out. but that left a PERMANENT LIVE to the light from the upstairs cuircuit.

i presume when he says "i found out later" he means he got a shock from the permanent live from the upstairs cuircuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back