Lighting & Dimmer advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice on which types of dimmers to get for the lighting setup I want in my kitchen.
There are 3 entrances/exits to the kitchen.
Entrance 1 - need 2 dimmer switches to be able to switch on main kitchen lights and LED strip unit light
Entrance 2 - need 2 dimmer switches to be able to switch on kitchen lights and outside patio ground lights
Entrance 3 - need 1 dimmer switch to be able to switch on main kitchen lights.

So in essence main kitchen lights can be turned on from all three entrances.
Patio lights need to be turned on from one entrance and led strip lights from the other entrance.

All lights will be LED lights and will be Dimmable.

Need some help in identifying what dimmer switches I need. I know I need 1 x 1 dimmer, and 2 x 2 dimmer switch. However am a bit confused around the whole master / slave / gang etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone want to dim lights in a kitchen?

Its trendy, people tend to hang around the kitchen more than the lounge nowadays.
Maybe its a london thing :)

Regarding the post, its more involved than you realise.
its all about compatibility and you need to know what types of lamps, drivers, transformers your dimming.
Usually advise needs to be sought from each manufacturer regarding whether there dimmer compatible, and if so dimmer type.
You have many dimming terms, leading, lagging reactive, inductive, Led and it all needs matching.

Sponsored Links
if you want to dim from 2 locations, you need 1 master and 1 slave
if you want to dim from 3 locations, you need 1 master and 2 slaves

if you want 1 dimmer on 1 plate at a location that would class as 1 gang
if you want 2 dimmers on 1 plate at a location that would class as 2 gang

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to dim lights in a kitchen?
When its a 'kitchen-diner', and one is dining, I guess!
There was no mention of a dinning area and if there was I assume that would have been designed to have it own lighting area!
Just puzzles me why people want to have dim lights in areas where you would expect it to be safer to avoid it!

if you want to dim from 2 locations, you need 1 master and 1 slave
if you want to dim from 3 locations, you need 1 master and 2 slaves

if you want 1 dimmer on 1 plate at a location that would class as 1 gang
if you want 2 dimmers on 1 plate at a location that would class as 2 gang

Thanks,
So based on that would need 1 x Slave 1 gang, 1 x Master Slave 2 gang and 1 x Master Master 2 Gang.
Are these combinations available?
I'm finding it quite tricky finding a Master Slave 2 gang Dimmer.
Any ideas if these are available? Or would I have to get grid modules?

There was no mention of a dinning area and if there was I assume that would have been designed to have it own lighting area! ... Just puzzles me why people want to have dim lights in areas where you would expect it to be safer to avoid it!
We often have this discussion (it's usually BAS who strongly asserts that a kitchen is a "working area"!), and I think it results from the apparent fashion to have kitchens contiguous with dining areas and/or other 'living' accommodation. Whilst I agree that no dining area was mentioned in this case, it sounds as if the kitchen opens onto a patio, and I suppose one wouldn't necessarily want the kitchen to be shining like a lighthouse (or totally dark) when sitting on the patio sipping one's G&T :)

Kind Regards, John

There was no mention of a dinning area and if there was I assume that would have been designed to have it own lighting area! ... Just puzzles me why people want to have dim lights in areas where you would expect it to be safer to avoid it!
We often have this discussion (it's usually BAS who strongly asserts that a kitchen is a "working area"!), and I think it results from the apparent fashion to have kitchens contiguous with dining areas and/or other 'living' accommodation. Whilst I agree that no dining area was mentioned in this case, it sounds as if the kitchen opens onto a patio, and I suppose one wouldn't necessarily want the kitchen to be shining like a lighthouse (or totally dark) when sitting on the patio sipping one's G&T :)

Kind Regards, John

John, you are right my friend. Is just to try and get a place where I can enjoy time dependant on my mood.
It's a kitchen / dinner, with a bifold which opens up into a BBQ / Patio area

The options are grid modules or a more expensive way is, buying extra 1 gang switches same make but in the basic plastic white range and depending on make, you un nut the module and mix match as needbe, however its not possible with some makes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back