Using a Dimmer Switch with 2 Way Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a typical 2-way lighting setup where 2 switches control the same light. The light itself is in my lounge with one switch in the lounge and the other next door in the kitchen. The switches are 2-way with a common terminal.

I understand you cannot easily replace both switches with a dimmer, it's more straightforward to just replace the lounge switch with a 2-way dimmer and leave the kitchen switch unaltered, is this correct please?

In which case how would this operate in practice?

For example, lets assume the dimmer is set to a low light level. Would the switch in the kitchen then either turn the light off, or on at the level set by the dimmer?

If the dimmer is set to full brightness or off altogether, would the kitchen switch then switch the light off or on full?

Thanks for your advice :)

Sponsored Links
If your proposed dimmer is like the one I had in my old kitchen, pushing the knob switched the circuit, turning the knob set light level anywhere from very dim to full. Under those circs, the kitchen switch will either turn the light off or set it to the dimmed level. And no you can't use 2 conventional dimmers in that setup- it'll all go a bit random. There are more modern options giving you level control at multiple points (Lightwave is one)

If you have a dimmer and a switch then the switch will always turn the light on at whatever brightness the dimmer happened to be set to when it was last twiddled.

You can have dimming from two (or more) locations, but you need to get master/slave dimmers, not normal ones, and probably the wiring you currently have between the two switches will allow you to install that type perfectly easily.

Bone up on how 2-way switching works https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting , look to see how yours are wired - odds on you'll be able to have a master/slave setup.

And for the love of all that is lovable, avoid introducing pointless flakiness such as Lightwave like the plague.

You do NOT need to go down the route of "home automation" just to be able to get dimming from more than one switch.

Sponsored Links
Do research the dimmer that you plan to buy. Many of these will work with a standard 2-way switch at the other end. But some will not! RTFM!

And for the love of all that is lovable, avoid introducing pointless flakiness such as Lightwave like the plague.

You do NOT need to go down the route of "home automation" just to be able to get dimming from more than one switch.
B-A-S.

I agree with you completely and "Love your work"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back