dimmer on 2 way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this forum so apologies if this is an old request,

I have a landing light with a switch upstairs. The downstairs switch is in the lounge (stairs off lounge) in a double switch box the other switch controls the lounge overhead light. I want to use a dimmer on the lounge light but dual switches are either both dimmer or both on-off types. Can I replace the lounge double switch with a double dimmer. If so what do I buy for the lounge switch 2-way, 2-gang? so that it will work with the landing light and is there any special wiring procedure for the landing light into this double dimmer which will now have the standard on-off upstairs but the dimmer control down?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can replace it with a 2 gang, two way dimmer providing the switch at the top of the stairs is an ordinary switch as opposed to a dimmer, you can only have one 'normal' dimmer per light

If you despiratly wanted a plate with a dimmer and normal switch on, then you could use a grid plate fitted with dimmer and switch modules

Thanks for the info Adam. I will be quite happy with a double dimmer. I will look round for the correct type of switch. I assume it is connected in similar way to the on/off switch that is there now?

Thanks again, Mike

Yes, there will be three connections for each switch, the stair one will have three wires, and the lounge just two, note down where these wires go (the terminals will be labeled com, l1, and l2 on each switch) and connect them the same on your two gang, two way dimmer

Sponsored Links
mcg348 said:
Thanks for the info Adam. I will be quite happy with a double dimmer. I will look round for the correct type of switch. I assume it is connected in similar way to the on/off switch that is there now?

Thanks again, Mike

to save grief, (lots of posts here about it) please note my signature

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back