Dual dimmers on 2 way switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a a set of 2 way switches (each with 2 switches on) which switch the lights on/off in the lounge and dining room.

If I want to replace the switches with dimmers, firstly can it be done with 2 way switches. If so I guess both sets of switches will need dual dimmers?

Sponsored Links
You only need master and slave dimmers if you need to dim from either switch location.
If not, you can just get a double dimmer at one end and leave a regular double switch at the other.

Be careful what you buy though, some of the fancy, "touch" dimmers wont work with standard switches!

Sponsored Links
Was looking at those touch dimmers - look really nice.

What do you mean they won't work with standard switches? Are they a different size or are there other issues?

It is not size, it is because some of the "clever" dimmers electrically just do not work with standard 2-way switches. For instance, check out the first paragraph in the instructions for this Varilight dimmer here. For those dimmers you would also need a slave dimmer at the other end - and you need to check the wiring between the switches is configured to support a master/slave dimmer layout.

So do some research BEFORE you turn up at the Screwfix counter - they wont be able to tell you - Screwfix is a warehouse, not a shop!

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Will def do more research then before my trip to the shops.

For any dimmer to work it must match the lights. A tungsten non quartz 230 volt lamp will work with nearly any dimmer.

Quartz lamps should not be dimmed although often they are but expect shortened lamp life and having to replace dimmer when bulb blows if you use a dimmer with a quartz lamp.

Extra low voltage lamps need a dimmer to match the electronic transformer many can't be dimmed and those that can need either a leading or lagging system to match basically the dimmer talks to the electronics and tells the transformer (which is not really a transformer) to reduce the output voltage.

LED lamps are also a problem one being the colour stays the same so there is no ambiance when they dim and two like the ELV electronic transformer the dimmer needs to talk to lamp so again leading and lagging problem. Also they use so little energy only some dimmer will work and in some cases it means taking a neutral to the switch which is unusual in the UK.

There are special dimming bulbs which are triggered by switching lights on and off i.e. no dimmer switch.

Some times mixing manufacturers cause lights to buzz so once fitted then you have to buy that make of bulb. I had dimming switches all around the house in the late 80's last one was removed this year. With LED bulbs they are just more trouble than they are worth.

You can get LED and Fluorescent drivers and ballasts designed to be dimmed which are used in lecturer theatres and like which are very good. But the days of the domestic replacement switch type of dimmer has really gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back