Dimmer hell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible/sensible? See the diagram below

wiring.gif

I'm replacing the three way kitchen switch with a 2 way dimmer, one dimmer for the kitchen light and one dimmer for the two lounge lights which each have their own switch in the lounge

If it's not possible, I don't mind only having one dimmer in the kitchen and just controlling the lounge lights from the lounge.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
nice of you to post a drwaing (makes life easier)

you can do what you are trying to achieve, but not the way you are going about it. you would need to rewire the lounge lights so one is in paralel with the other.

Why not put in a 3 gang, 2 way dimmer, much easier

Thanks for the reply. I don't think they make 3 gang dimmers to fit in the standard square socket fitting, so that's why I'm trying the method I've shown. Whatever is easiest suits me!

I noticed a slight error in my "after" image where the kitchen dimmer appeared to connect to one of the lounge lights. I've changed that now.

If you could explain the parallel wiring that would be very helpful. Also, what's the best way to disable the wiring to lounge lights from the kitchen, if I were to just put one dimmer in?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
it would be less hassle to change the dimmer to a 3 gang as otherwise you will have to have floorboards up etc (to find what cable does what,) then there is moving all the stuff to get the floorboards up, oh and some choc block too

this is paralell =============== (side by side, same at each end,) but as i said floor boards up equlas more hassle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back