Lighting Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to fix a set of 10 starlight G4 downlights. This is the set-up. There are the 10 downlights plus a mirror light all running of the same dimmer switch. The mirror light still works but the downlights don't. I have changed all the bulbs and replaced the transformer but still no joy. The transformer supports minimum 35w and each downlight is 12v with a 10W bulb so this should be ok? Anybody got any idea's on what could be the problem? Could it be the dimmer switch, would it work for one light but not the others?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the transformer supports maximum of 35 watts?

You have 10 X 10Watt lamps which is a total of 100 watts!

Can you be more specific about the transformer spec?

Is it a "dimmable" transformer?

I assume you have checked the continuity of the wiring and that all lamps are wired in parallel?

Hi, The transformer is a Halolite 35-105W/VA. Dimmable with resistive and inductive dimmers.

The lights have worked before so I assume they are all wired correctly?

Any other idea's?

Sponsored Links
I will check. Is there something in the dimmer that would effect one and not the other?

Hi, The transformer is a Halolite 35-105W/VA. Dimmable with resistive and inductive dimmers.

The lights have worked before so I assume they are all wired correctly?

OK, that transformer would be fine with 10 x 10watt lamps but (and I may be wrong) my understanding is that you have 11 lights? (one mirror light)

Questions:

1) Is the mirror light NOT on the transformer circuit?
2) Does the mirror light dim correctly when you operate your dimmer switch?
3) Regarding the dimmer switch: is it a single or double gang switch? (two dimmers in one unit)
4) As BAS has suggested, have you tried replacing the dimmer with a switch? (just to see if the lights come on)

I will check. Is there something in the dimmer that would effect one and not the other?
Don't know.

But if you replace the dimmer with a switch and all is well we'll know that the problem is with the dimmer.

If you swap it and the downlights still don't work then the problem lies elsewhere.

What exactly did you have before, and what have you added?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back