Lighting Switch Wiring Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I started to wire a 2nd switch for the light in my garage; there is a light switch beside the garage main door but not at the small entrance door that leads into my house.

I installed the new switch and ran the cable to the existing switch = thinking that all I had to do now was open up the existing switch and attach the wires. However what I found confused me.

In the existing switch which is one way, there are 2 cables entering the switch both having a red wire, black wire and earth wire. The red wires from the different cables are wired one to the com and the other to L1. The 2 black wires are joined together by a cable connector.

I looked at the light bayonet fitting and it has a red, black and earth cable.

Is the 2nd cable the power supply and if so should I install a junction box or...?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes I did use 3 core plus earth cable. I expected the supply to come from the rose and hadn't experienced direct supply to the switch. I didn't want to proceed before checking the facts.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back