Add a light to an existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im looking to add a light circuit to my existing bedroom light, one way switch to a two way switch. my existing light in room is wired behind the switch as follows:-

3 cables, Cable 1 and 2 - Black, Red and earth. Cable 3 - Blue, Yellow, Earth, Red.

All 3 earths are connected with choc block, Cable 1 and 2, Black cables connected to a choc block. L1 on switch has Cable 1 red and cable 3 yellow connected. L2 has cable 2 red and cable 3 blue. COM on switch has cable 3 red.

I want to change this switch from a one way to a 2 way and add an additional lighting circuit, how do i do this? How would it be wired on back of 2 way switch?

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Apologies, my terminology is incorrect. I currently have a 1 Gang 2 way switch and I would like to add an additional lighting circuit by changing to a 2 Gang 2 way switch.

From what you have described,

you will require another cable from the switch to the new light position.

Not sure if you want this - but if you want this new light operated from two positions then you will also need another cable (3 core) from this switch to the other switch.

thanks, just need the additional light to work from one position. i dont have an issue running 3 core from the new light to the switch, just not sure how i wire up the switch, because im replacing a 1 gang 2 way with a 2 gang 2 way, im assuming the existing light will just be wired the same on the 2 gang, just not sure how i wire the new circuit on the switch. hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-4-23_23-44-46.png

It is possible that two black and red cables are the wrong way round, so if, after wiring as above, the new light only works when the existing light is on, move the brown link wire in the first switch from L1 to L2.

that's great, thanks, will wire it this week and let you know, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back