Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to connect an outside light. In my limited electrical knowlidge I have fed a cable (3-core twin and earth) through the wall and into an existing single switch that activates the lounge light(one of two switches that operate this light, the other is at the other side of the room). Yhe wiring at present is as follows:

1. L1 holds both live(red) wires from the two existing cables.

2 L2 holds both neutral(black and blue) from the two existing cables.

3 COM holds a yellow cable( where has this come from??)

4 EARTH - both earth cables are connected to the back box

I have now bought a double switch and my new cable has a black and red cable along with a bare earth.

Can I connect this light with the cable I have and if so can someone tell me how.

The set up I have in the new switch is

2 x L1
2 x L2
2 x COM

I would appreciate any help

Woany

Sponsored Links
You need to keep the existing setup in your new switch across one set of terminals. On the other set of terminals (the outside light) you need to loop the live feed (red) from the existing wiring to the common terminal. The red wire from your outside light in L1. The black wire from your outside light in with the existing 2 other black wires in the existing scheme.

You may find it difficult to get three wires in one terminal.

Connect the earth wire from your outside light in with the other earths on the back box.

Basically copy what you have for the lounge on the first set of terminals. On the other set of terminals you need a live feed (red) to go though the switch to your light (red side). The black side of the light is connected in with the neutral (black).

Porker said:
You need to keep the existing setup in your new switch across one set of terminals. On the other set of terminals (the outside light) you need to loop the live feed (red) from the existing wiring to the common terminal. The red wire from your outside light in L1. The black wire from your outside light in with the existing 2 other black wires in the existing scheme.

You may find it difficult to get three wires in one terminal.

Connect the earth wire from your outside light in with the other earths on the back box.

Basically copy what you have for the lounge on the first set of terminals. On the other set of terminals you need a live feed (red) to go though the switch to your light (red side). The black side of the light is connected in with the neutral (black).

THE black in your fitting is not Neutral it is switched live, you will need to run a Neutral from your light fitting

-IF IT WAS NEUTRAL YOU WOULD BLOW THE SWITCH TO PIECES EVERYTIME YOU FLICKED THE SWITCH- :LOL:

AR

i will elaborate on what super sparks said.

You can not take a feed from your light switch as there is only a live and switched live (you need a neutral) the yellow wire you see is connected to the common of the other switch that controls the same light (you have 2 switches for one light, dont you)

you actualy need to take your cable to the ceiling rose of an existing light, and another cable from the same light for the new switch.
you connect it as the drawing below shows

lamps.gif

Sponsored Links
I understand what you have replied but I don't think Woany has the existing system connected in this way. What you have both described is the standard way of wiring a two way switch and I would agree with you.

I think he has described what is wired in his existing switch not the rose. This confused me so I sketched out what he described and I think it may be wired as in the sketch. The switch on the left is effectively what he has described. The rest is my guess of how the rest is wired and the other switch being the other lounge switch.

circuit.jpg

I may be wrong and I would be interested in how else it may be wired as described. Normally I would only expect four wires at the switch (earth, common plus the two switched). Woany has described 6!

BTW - I would suggest this is a dangerous arrangement as the light fitting could be live on both sides of the pendant although the light would indicate no power.

If Woany's describing the wiring in the rose then my reply is rubbish!!

If im wrong then ignore this, but personly as i understand it there is one light fitting, two switches which is a two way switching arrangement, and porker if it is a two way switching arrangement then that is a very unlikely arrangement because it would mean a lot of extra work(and cable), it is more likely to be live from the light and the switched live(black) which are linked to the other switch in a standard way, just with a slightly different colour code ie red would normaly be to com and yellow normaly with red to L1

like:
live from light to L1 along with red to L1 in other switch
Switched live to light with blue to L2 (blue to L2 in other switch)
Yellow to COM in both switches
BR
and btw there is 5 wires,which is standard (three from other switch, two from light fitting, and then there will be two earth) not sure where 6 came from :confused: unless you counted the earth? this is totaly standard, and i know that he is talking about the switch not the rose :confused:

On reflection, I would go with your interpretation as I guess it is unlikely to have been wired as I described. (6 was from counting earth also)

Porker said:
On reflection, I would go with your interpretation as I guess it is unlikely to have been wired as I described. (6 was from counting earth also)

stranger things have been done :p

Well I did not expect to receive such attention. I am very grateful but have now realised that without pulling a neutral cable from somewhere I cannot do what I set out to do. I have now taken the cable round the other way towards the other side of the house and come in to a brand new switch just below the fuse box. Should be easy enough now I think to drop a cable from the fuse box to the switch. By the way should I connect this cable to the fuse for lights??

Also as the wire is to go around the side of the house beneath stones that border the house(its a brand new david wilson home) should I put it in a rubber conduit???

Thanks lads for all of you help.

Woany

now the bad news, outside cables should be either overhead, of if underground wire armoured and buried preferably at least 12 inches.

the reason is YOU know its there (today) but what about next year?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back