Lime mortar for repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I am about to engage a builder to repoint the front of my house which is a 1925 semi , built in soft red bricls and lime mortar.
Next-door have already had theirs repointed and it doesn't look good really so I want to avoid the same pitfalls. Basically their lime seems overly bright white and to make things worse the new pointing seems to have been brushed over in such a way that the joints now look extra wide.

My question is - does anyone kow a way of avoiding the bright yellowy white colour of new lime re-pointing? Ive heard about 'soot wash' on here but I think that might darken down the bricks too much at the same time.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Richard

Sponsored Links
I've been researching lime mortar myself recently as I need to repoint the fireplace I've just uncovered.

These guys's seem quite helpful:

http://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/lime-mortar

They do a range of mixes and colours and will also match what you've got currently if necessary.

Hi -
and to make things worse the new pointing seems to have been brushed over in such a way that the joints now look extra wide.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Richard
That's the normal method of finish for lime mortar. Re pointing often makes the joints look bigger, as the edges end to break off slightly over time, and also when the joints are cut out. Having a slightly recessed joint can help, but it's not as weatherproof.
Tuckpointing makes a smaller joint, but it's big money to do unless you DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back