Lime not used in Top Coat ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had our house pebbledashed ( dry harled ) and it looks great !

The roughcaster asked me to supply all the materials including hydrated lime.

The top coat consisted of Snowcrete Portland Cement and Sand to which he added a measure of Cementone Freeflo additive ( a combined plasticiser, waterproofer and retarder ).

For the job he used 27 bags x 25Kg of Snowcrete cement in total, however he hardly even used 1/5 out of one 25Kg bag of hydrated lime.

I am sure that he did not have his own lime as he asked me to supply everything which I did to the letter.

Am I going to have a problem - has there been a mistake ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lime will add a little fluff or workability to the render, some will add it to encourage a paler finish, but the lack of lime will in no way effect the strength or durability of the finished product.

In fact renders formed from sand/cement and water-proofers (no lime) are probably stronger but more brittle.

Cheers Noseall

I just found it strange that he had me supply it then not use it ?

The roughcaster is a great guy, nothing was too much trouble for him, so I can only assume that he changed the plan that he had in mind.

He did add a drop of exterior grade PVA to the mix and he said that this made the mix easier to work with and that it would set harder.

He'd need more than a drop for 27 bags to have any effect. If he used SBR they recommend five litres per bag of cement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back