Limited void in ceiling space but would like quiet bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got limited space above a suspended ceiling where I have fitted flat duct today. Cheaper basic normal (not extra quiet) 4" fans seem to require much less room above the ceiling for me to mount into my 90 degree duct fitting. They would be fine (and might even require an extra inch of round duct) whereas the quiet fans all seem slightly too long at the back!

So, could anyone recommend a quiet fan that is shorter not needing too much mounting depth above the ceiling? Thanks

Sponsored Links
http://www.nationalventilation.co.uk/category/axial_fan_range/10

Take a look at these guys, 25dB for the standard 4" fan. Can't say as I've noticed the back being bigger than any other fan.

You could go for a centrifugal fan which can be as low as around 20dB but they're frickin massive on the outside, and a stupid amount of money

Thanks but they're the same when you look at dimensions. The standard axial fan (back portion of it) is only 25mm long the quiet range almost 100mm.

On suspended ceilings I suspect almost half of all modernised bathrooms in the uk have recessed lights and fans fitted and ducted in a void area hence have suspended ceilings. Don't see the problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but they're the same when you look at dimensions. The standard axial fan (back portion of it) is only 25mm long the quiet range almost 100mm.

On suspended ceilings I suspect almost half of all modernised bathrooms in the uk have recessed lights and fans fitted and ducted in a void area hence have suspended ceilings. Don't see the problem.
I fitted a regular 600mm grid in my bathroom, ooo... 30years ago. 2 milky white tiles and the rest fibreglass sound absorbing (left overs on a ceiling at work). Next time I lifted a tile out to change a tube I was horrified, it was thick black lumps of fungus everywhere except the plastic tiles and tops of the metal bars.
I'd never risk it again.
What I don't understand is why does it not happen in the kitchen?

Last edited:
On suspended ceilings I suspect almost half of all modernised bathrooms in the uk have recessed lights and fans fitted and ducted in a void area hence have suspended ceilings.
I don't follow that at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back