Bathroom Extractor Fan Fitting - Zones Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm just about to call a spark in to get an extractor fan fitted into our bathroom, since we had a new electric shower fitted opening a window simply doesn't work and we're starting to get mildew in areas of the ceiling.

I'm looking at getting a 230V Icon 30 with Humidistat plugin. Its rated as IPX4 Splashproof. The fan will be ceiling mounted into the loft and then go out through ducting into the soffit (total length probably about 2 metres ducting but with 2 bends. The fan can't go through the wall as we live in a terrace.

We want to get the fan installed above the bath. The height of our ceilings are 2300mm and the fan itself would protrude 40mm. Putting it right on the limit of zone 1 and 2. If we go with 230V rather than SELV (purely for cost) Am i right in thinking that if i were to treat it as being in zone 1 then i would have to protect it with a 30mA RCD (in an FCU) to comply with regulations?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter. The fan can go in zone one anyway.

Circuit in loft does not have to have RCD fitted.

So the fact that the fan will be mounted in the loft but protrude through the ceiling mean that i don't need to use an RCD as its technically in the loft?

Sponsored Links
701 411.3.3 states all electrical circuits within the bathroom require RCD protection.
Also requirements for cables that are not mechanically protected within walls at a depth less than 50mm, regardless of location, will require RCD protection.

Definition of a circuit:
An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device.

Circuit in loft does not have to have RCD fitted.
I should have written -

New cabling in loft will be visible and so does not have to have RCD fitted.

701.411.3.3 is not retrospective for existing circuits and by PBoD's quoted definition (which is correct) this not a new circuit.

701.411.3.3 is a blanket statement and if applied to existing circuits then everyone should have rushed out and bought RCDs in 2008

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back