lining paper over old wallpaper

nos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possibe to put lining paper up over existing wallpaper and then to paint on top of the lining paper? I've just finished stripping and prepping one room and suddenly thought this might be an option for the other rooms saving me quite alot of time.

The wallpaper is in good condition but my worry would be that the the paste on the lining paper would pull the existing wallpaper off...

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this and the results.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its never a good idea to paper over paper. The paste may well activate the old paste below and make the paper bubble up. This then may not go back down. Its always best to strip first and then use the lining paper.

under duress i have done this in the past. i agree with robbie that the paper bubbles up, i have ended having to run a knife through it to reglue it back

Overall it would have been quicker to strip it back

I never use lining paper myself as I have been plastering for over 20 years - and there's no comparison in the finish.

However, wallpaper is just coloured lining paper. If it has no embossing, it is quite thick, and in good order - it 'may' be possible to paint over it. I'd never do it myself, but it's worth thinking about.

Sponsored Links
painting over old paper also makes it much much much more difficult to remove it when the time comes

Are you saying you don't paint lining paper then John?

I don't paint old paper. it's a pig getting painted paper off as it's so difficult to wet

luckily lining paper is softer and more absorbent than most patterened papers so not as bad as most.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back